This is by far the most successful year for Telugu cinema in terms of box office returns. Thanks to Baahubali 2: The Conclusion that has set new records in India and overseas to become the biggest ever hit in the history.
There are several other successful films throughout the year but the gap between them and Baahubali is humongous.
Here are the top 10 hits of the year.
1) Baahubali 2: There are no words to describe the success of Baahubali 2: The Conclusion. It is an epic blockbuster that has set the bar high and far above.
It will be near impossible for any film in the near future to topple Baahubali from the top seat. Even Rajamouli will need something exceptional to repeat the feat.
2) Khaidi No. 150: The film marked the comeback of the emperor of the Tollywood. Megastar Chiranjeevi made a stunning comeback with Khaidi No. 150 that has collected more than Rs. 100 crore distributor share.
It is the only film to achieve this feat beside Baahubali films shows the strength and stamina of Megastar at the box office.
3) Fidaa: Sekhar Kammula’s magic has created waves at the ticket window as Fidaa turned out to be one of the biggest hits in terms of Return on investment.
The film’s collections are on par with many big ticket films in the Nizam and overseas territories.
The director of Happy Days has made a comeback of sorts with Fidaa in his typical style. The film earned three times its production cost from theatricals itself.
4) Gautamiputra Satakarni: Balakrishna’s hundredth film directed by Krish has achieved hit status by making the most of Sankranthi season.
Although its collections are exactly half of Khaidi No. 150’s numbers, it made the landmark film a memorable one for the veteran Nandamuri star.
5) Shatamanam Bhavati: It is not a mean feat to clash with the heavyweights like K150 and GPSK and come out as a winner.
Shatamanam Bhavati that released for Sankranthi has once again proved that it is the best season for family dramas.
The film is a huge blockbuster in Telugu states and did okay in overseas.
6) Nenu Local: Dil Raju took the gamble by releasing another film within three weeks when Shatamanam Bhavati is still minting shares.
Nenu Local had hit the bull’s eye and registered best ever numbers for a Nani starrer. It is a super hit all over giving back to back hits for Dil Raju at the beginning of the year.
7) Ninnu Kori: Nani’s next release of the year Ninnu Kori also turned out to be a runaway super hit.
The film isn’t an entertainer like Nenu Local, but did superb business thus boosting the stardom of Nani, which is working wonders for MCA at the moment.
8) Arjun Reddy: Arjun Reddy is the biggest hit of the year in terms of return on investment. The film was made with a budget of under Rs. 5 crore and collected more than five times of its production cost from the theatrical shares.
The film has fetched superb deals from other rights as well.
9) Rarandoi Veduka Chuddam: It is the biggest grosser in Chaitanya’s career as a solo hero. The film was expected to put Chay in the next league, but all Nagarjuna could manage to achieve is the highest grossing movie in his son’s career.
10) Mahanubhavudu: Sharwanand has scored another hit in the same year with the help of Maruthi brand of ‘clean’ entertainment.
It is the one of the very few films that was successful in the second half of the year. Mahanubhavudu came out as the winner in Dussehra clash.
Nene Raju Nene Mantri, Guru, Ghazi and Anando Brahma were among other successful films of the year. Raja The Great is an above average fare in terms of box office returns. MCA that released for Christmas is likely to become a hit in full run.
Films like Jai Lava Kusa, Katamarayudu and DJ were among top grossing movies, but couldn’t recover the huge investment of buyers and ended up as failures.