There are a handful of films that had set the cash registers ringing in 2017, but the flop rate is even bigger with many films turning out to be box office turkeys.
There are nearly twenty five big flops that had left their makers and buyers in dire straits.
We are listing out the top 10 commercial disasters of the year.
1) Spyder: No other big budget film had bombed as big as Spyder this year. It is the only film from a top star to tank at the box office.
Mahesh Babu teaming up with Murugadoss has set high expectations on Spyder, but the film terribly failed in living up to them.
The film was sold for huge rates considering the combination craze and couldn’t even recover half of the buyers investment.
It is the biggest flop in the history in terms of the amount of loss (nearly Rs. 60 crore).
2) Nakshatram: This got to be the most torturous experience that viewers has had at the cinemas this year.
Krishnavamsi has made some disastrous films in the past, but Nakshatram has set the bar high in terms of horrendous filmmaking.
No wonder the film couldn’t even recover quarter of the buyers investment from theatrical revenues.
If not for the losses incurred on Spyder, this film has every reason to be crowned as the disastrous film of the year.
3) Mister: Oh my Srinu Vaitla! The director who was known for delivering box office blockbusters is having a nightmarish run at the box office lately.
After the duds like Aagadu and Bruce Lee, the star director has hit a new low with Mister.
Thanks to Fidaa for reviving Varun Tej’s career immediately or else Mister would have put the young actor’s career in doldrums.
4) Om Namo Venkatesaya: There’s not much wrong with the film. Maybe it is tad outdated for the tastes of this generation’s audience. Or maybe it looked like a rehash of classic Annamayya.
Not even the devotees of Lord Venkateswara have shown interest in watching this film from the team Annamayya. It ended up as one of the biggest commercial flops of the year.
Even Nagarjuna’s recent track record couldn’t save it.
5) Lie: Having immense confidence in one’s own product is not wrong, but the makers should make sure to time the release perfectly. Pitting a class action movie against two mass movies like Nene Raju and Jaya Janaki proved costly for Lie.
It was a nightmare for its buyers as it failed to make an impression in A centers and overseas too.
6) Oxygen: Gopichand also wasn’t much interested in the outcome of the film. He didn’t even finish the dubbing part and left the last shot of the film to be shot with a dupe.
When the lead actor himself is not bothered about a film then the result wouldn’t be anything less than a disaster.
Oxygen is one of the biggest flops of the year thanks to the atrocious direction of Jyothi Krishna.
7) Winner: Sai Dharam Tej has clearly lost the plot. He was on course for becoming the most bankable actors in the mid table, but has made some ridiculous choices of late.
Winner turned out to be a loser in each and every way making it a forgettable year for the megastar’s nephew.
8) Ungarala Rambabu: No wonder Sunil decided to switch back to playing comedy roles after this film.
The star comedian turned hero failed to gauge the real strength of his as a leading man and made silly choices to lose his ground totally.
Ungarala Rambabu is one of the most insensible films of the year.
9) Paisa Vasool: Puri Jagannadh teaming up with Balakrishna raised high expectations, but Paisa Vasool turned out to be yet another script-less gimmicky from the maverick director.
The film did open on a high note but fizzled out in no time. It ended up in heavy losses despite the strong start.
10) Yuddham Sharanam: Naga Chaitanya has been making attempts to shed his lover boy image from a longtime. But his experiments are not yielding desired results. Yuddham Sharanam had sunk without a trace.
There are many more big flops and zero impact movies that didn’t make it to the final 10.
Movies like Patel Sir, Goutham Nanda, Dwaraka, Gunturodu, Jaya Janaki Nayaka, Katamarayudu, Rogue, Babu Baga Busy, Fashion Designer, Kathalo Rajakumari, Srivalli, Vunnadi Okate Zindagi, C/o Surya, Angel, Balakrishnudu, Jawaan etc. have left huge hole in the pockets of their buyers.