In his first speech after officially taking over as Congress President, Rahul Gandhi says Prime Minister Narendra Modi is taking India down a “medieval path” and that people are being “butchered” for what they eat.
He has invited the youth of country to build a “compassionate and loving” India. Earlier, his mother Sonia Gandhi and former PM Manmohan Singh sounded caution over the “politics of fear” in India.
In her first speech as ex-chief of the Congress, Sonia Gandhi said the party won’t back down in the struggle for the “soul of India” and referred to “terrible personal attacks” faced by her son.
Rahul became the fifth Congress president from the Nehru-Gandhi family when Central Election Authority president Mullapally Ramachandran handed over the Certificate of Election to him. In the audience were Priyanka Gandhi and Robert Vadra.
Top 5 Quotes
1. Politics belongs to the people, but today politics is not being used for people. It is not being used to uplift people, but to crush them.
2. Many of us are disillusioned by politics of our time. Today, politics is devoid of kindness and truth.
3. When I joined politics, I learnt that moment you stand up for the poor and challenge those who hold the seat of power, they will come after you. These regressive forces win not because they deserve to, but because they are powerful.
4. We are now being compelled to imagine that businesses can be built without harmony that only one man himself is the voice of reason. Expertise, experience and knowledge can be cast aside for personal glory.
5. You have an example in front of you, once fire breaks out it is difficult to douse it, that is what we are telling the people of BJP, that if you set the nation on fire it will be difficult to control. Today BJP has spread the fire of violence across the country.