Home PoliticsPolitical News

Killer Deloitte manager gives up, faces 10-year jail

HYDERABAD: After ten days on the run, Deloitte manager Shwetabh Kumar, whose rash driving killed an Infosys techie and her husband near the Gachibowli-ORR junction, surrendered before police on Monday afternoon.

Kumar, a manager of a software development team at Deloitte, had managed to evade the police dragnet by shuttling between Hyderabad and Mumbai, but continuous pressure by police on his family members finally forced him to surrender. 

On March 26, Kumar, took four interns out for a drive to show off his driving skills and rammed his sedan at breakneck speed into a waiting motorbike near the Gachibowli-ORR junction.

While 36-year-old Soni Ramchandani, the pillion-riding Infosys employee died on the spot, her husband Hari Prasad, 44, succumbed to his injuries on Sunday night.

The couple's four-year-old son, Moksh, also suffered injuries in the accident, but police said he is now out of danger and his relatives are taking care of him. 

"We immediately took him to custody and have charged him with culpable homicide not amounting to murder under section 304 of the IPC. He will be produced in court on Tuesday," Gachibowli inspector J Ramesh said. If found guilty, Kumar faces life imprisonment or 10 years in jail and fine. 

Giving details of his whereabouts for the past ten days, police said that immediately after the accident, Shwetabh changed various modes of transport and went to his house in Dundigal where his wife, their son and his wife's sister were waiting.

Shwetabh sent his 10-year-old son with his sister-in-law to Pune and fled from the house with his wife. When police reached his house the next morning, they found the door locked. 

Shwetabh switched off his and his wife's phones. Suspecting that he might be caught if he went to any bus or train stations, the techie went to Chilkur on the outskirts where thousands of pilgrims, mostly young professionals, go to worship Lord Balaji.

"Shwetabh stayed at a choultry in Chilkur for a few days. He also stayed at some other places in the city and went to Mumbai twice," deputy commissioner of police (DCP), Madhapur, Kartikeya said. 

Meanwhile, two special teams, formed by the the Gachibowli police, went looking for the couple to the residences of Shwetabh and his in-laws in Patna and his sister-in-law's house in Pune. Police told Shwetabh's family members that he would be caught at any cost and told them to advice him to surrender. 

Finally, due to pressure from police, Shwetabh surrendered before police on Monday. Police said that they had recorded the statements of the interns who were in Shwetabh's car at the time of the incident and all of them have said that he was driving under the influence of alcohol.

"We have checked the blood alcohol level of the interns in the car and they tested positive. We have seized some beer bottles from the car," inspector Ramesh said. 

By assessing the gravity of the crime, Gachibowli police registered a case against Shwetabh under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the IPC instead of usual section 304-A (causing death due to rash or negligent act) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

Source: TimesOfIndia

The latest info on OTT/Streaming content, Home Delivered!