In a shocking development, senior judge of the Nampally criminal courts resigned from his job within a couple of hours after delivering the judgment in the sensational Mecca Masjid blast case, which claimed 14 lives on May 18. 2007.
Justice Ravinder Reddy, who heads the fourth metropolitan sessions court-cum-special court for National Investigation Agency cases, sent his resignation letter to Hyderabad high court chief justice Ramesh Ranganathan in the evening.
Justice Reddy is said to have cited 'personal reasons ' as grounds for his resignation.
He is said to have asked the CJ of Hyderabad to relieve him immediately or grant him 15 days leave.
Earlier in the day, he delivered the judgment acquitting five accused in the sensational 2007 May 18 bomb blast case.
Swamy Aseemanand, Lokendra Sharma and three others have been acquitted on grounds that the NIA could not prove its charges against them.
Ravinder Reddy, who is also leader of the Telangana judicial officers association, is said to be under pressure to deliver the judgement in favour of the accused.
He is learnt to have told his friends that he had been receiving threatening calls for some time for unknown reasons.
He, however, switched off his phone soon after resigning and went unavailable even to his friends.