1) Janatha Garage: The combination of Koratala Siva and NTR Jr. raised many expectations on Janatha Garage and they lived up to it by delivering the highest grosser of the year.
Though the film opened to mixed talk, it got thunderous opening and went on to become the biggest hit in NTR’s career.
NTR had to wait for thirteen years to score a big hit like Simhadri. This film has answered the critics that have written him off as a crowd pulling star.
With Janatha Garage, NTR is back in contention for the number one place in Tollywood.
2) Sarrainodu: Allu Arjun, who is known for lighthearted family/youthful entertainers tried his hand at hardcore mass masala for the first time and the result is a super hit.
As all other summer biggies failed to click, Sarrainodu went from strength to strength to become one of the biggest hits of all time.
Director Boyapati Srinu proved that he can deliver the goods with young heroes also. Sarrainodu is the first hit for Allu Arjun under home banner, which makes it even more special for him.
3) Soggade Chinni Nayana: Nagarjuna took a huge gamble by pitting SCN against other biggies like Nannaku Prematho and Dictator for Sankranthi. It has really paid off big as SCN was unstoppable for around four weeks at the ticket window, thus putting it ahead of all other Sankranthi releases.
It has collected nearly 50 crore share which is more than double the investment on it. Nagarjuna is looking forward to launch a sequel to Soggade soon with director Kalyan Krishna.
4) A Aa: Trivikram’s brand power proved successful with A Aa exceeding expectations at the box office. It is not only the highest grosser in US with $ 2.5 Million but also the biggest hit in Nithin’s career.
A Aa proved that Trivikram doesn’t need a big star to deliver a money spinner at the ticket window.
5) Pelli Chupulu: Although there are many other films that collected more than Pelli Chupulu, it made the list just because of earning more than ten times its production and publicity costs combined. It is the biggest hit of the year in terms of Return on investment basis.
Fresh star cast, refreshing storytelling and loads of entertainment proved enough to conquer the box office. Kudos to director Tharun Bhaskar and his team.
Special Mention – Bichagadu:
We cannot conclude list of top hits of the year article without the mention of Bichagadu. This Tamil dubbed film created sensation at the box office by collecting over 10 crore gross at the box office. When Telugu dubbing rights were bought for just 50 lakh, no one ever thought that it could build such a mountain of collections.
There are other films like Ekkadiki Pothavu Chinnavada and Nenu Sailaja that also brought rich dividends for their investors. Nannaku Prematho and Dhruva are among the top grossing movies of the year.
Sardaar Gabbar Singh is not only one of the top grossing films, but also one of the biggest disasters of the year.